Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Wood Cabinet

This was a neat exercise I did in my English 15 class today. Take something very ordinary and even cheery and give it a disturbing connotation. Some aspects of it are easier than you would think, others more difficult. Give it a try! I would love to see some responses to this one.

On the far wall of the candle-lit kitchen hangs a dull wood cabinet whose doors have encountered the dirty hands of many before me. As I open the cabinet I am nearly blinded by the sharp refracted light of twenty clear glasses. The perfect symmetry and placement of the glasses feels reminiscent of the compulsive itch of ritualistic order. The spotless shine, the clean smell like that of a hospital room reminds me of the pure, white glow of ghosts in a haunted old house with creaking floorboards and torn window drapes. Perhaps I am not as thirsty as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment